Get Out of Your Head and into Your Body
Get Out of Your Head and into Your Body. Did anyone ever say this to you? Sometimes we can get all into our heads and almost lose sense of the body. We are like this when we are caught up in our thoughts, racing off into the past or the future. But it’s also accompanied by a stuckness, a feeling that it’s difficult to move forward or get things done. Like wading through thick treacle. Sound familiar? It can be caused by a number of things and might be a habit we have got into, but the good news is that there are things we can do to overcome it.
This feeling sometimes occurs in depression as depressed people are often stuck in their head, as well as in other mental illness. It doesn’t mean that you are depressed though just because you have this feeling.
So let’s take a look at what helps:
- Fitness, movement, yoga – getting out for a power walk
- Soak your feet in hot water with nice smelling bubble bath
- Massage, giving or receiving
- Breath awareness, and breathing techniques
- Aromatherapy oils
- Being out in nature
- Grounding exercises, including visualising roots growing down from your feet into the ground beneath, walking barefoot outside
- Drinking enough water and excluding substances such as caffeine and alcohol which can make it worse
- Practising mindfulness
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT – tapping)
- Spending time with animals
- Trying out a new food or something you love and rarely have and really savouring the flavour of it
- Random acts of kindness – do something to help or show kindness to somebody
- Clean your car if you have one, if not clean something else or someone else’s car
So in EFT, as that is my favourite intervention almost all of the time, I would look at what the energy body is doing. What is the feeling of being stuck in your head and is the feeling in the head or also in the body somewhere? Does it have a colour or texture? If it had something to say what might that be? If you asked it what it wanted what might that be?
And coming to the SUE Scale, what how would you rate this feeling of being stuck in your head from -10 being the worst it could be, through zero (not bothering you) to +10 which would be the opposite of that feeling. That might be feeling completely balanced, healthy, clear, free, focused, motivated, excited or whatever it feels like to you.
And now ask yourself the question, ‘what would it take for me to move just one point up the scale?’ I always ask clients this, since moving one point up the scale seems quite do-able and non-threatening. It also opens up the possibility of what ‘a little bit better’ feels like. And feeling a little bit better leads to better, and so on.
In the video below I demonstrate one way of approaching this feeling with Modern Energy EFT. I also see people for 1:1 appointments in North Kerry, Ireland and via Skype internationally.